Friday, February 25, 2011

Allergic to pregnancy?.?.?.

So today I had a doctors appointment. I thought this was supposed to be an appointment for glucose testing but apparently I was wrong and will be doing that in about two weeks. Oh happy happy joy joy! I get to drink a bunch of yucky sugary drink, wait and hour and have my blood tested to determine how I process sugar. At least I did not have to do it today seeing that I was already feeling a big woozy.  Instead of doing the glucose test I just had a normal prenatal visit. I first visited with the head nurse and went over 3rd trimester information. It's crazy to me that my third and last trimester is almost here. We discussed my options for birth, feeding the baby, and even delivery medications and procedures. I was pleased to see that she was ok with me not wanting an epidural and actually wrote it down for the records. I was weighed and measured once again this week.  According to my doctor I am caught up to exactly where I should be. For those that think I look huge for a pregnant woman at 24 weeks you are wrong. My doctor may have just been being nice but he sure did a good job of reassuring me that I am perfectly normal. He explained to me that thy typical womans stomach measurement matches the number of weeks she is pregnant. With that in mind I feel totally fine bout my sizeof 24.1cm. My doctor actually made a comment about how many may think I look bigger than should due to societies tendency to be obese. Too often we are used to seeing women who are overweight to begin with therefore their pregnancies don't always show as soon. He told me there is only so much room for baby girl to go and a belly means healthy growth and development. He also talked to me about her placement. From the feels of it he believed she was bend in half with her bum up under my right rib which would explain the slight rib pressure I have been having when I sit for a long period of time.  Her heart rate was perfectly normal at 152 beats per minute. Lastly, they checked out the rash/ skin issues I have been experiencing for the past month or so. My hands and neck have been excessively dry causing what appears to be hives at times and my legs are covered in this terrible looking rash. I am not sure if it was a cop-out for lack of other explanation or what but my doctor suggested the possibility of me actually being allergic to my own body. He said it can happen where a womans bodies basically react to the pregnancy hormones they produce causing skin allergies. This would only happen to me. His suggestion was to take one benadryl tablet every day and two every night until my next appointment and see if that helps if so the only solution will be a permanent benadryl dosage (addiction) until delivery. That just seems crazy to me. How can I possibly be allergic to pregnancy? I am allergic to my own baby?!?! Taking benadryl daily is not an option for me. I like being awake and there is no possible way I can work and still follow those instructions. The rash does not bother me too bad so I have decided to use my own judgment and go without the drugs unless the condition becomes worse or I experience any itching or pain as a result which I currently do not.

Thats the latest update. Maybe there will even be a picture update soon too. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you and baby are doing well! People said to me all the time I was huge also, and I agree with what your doctor said. We are both small women, and that makes your baby belly seem even bigger. Happy 24 weeks!

    ReplyDelete