Saturday, January 1, 2011

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! 16 weeks down!

I never understood as a child why my parents said the holidays were the most busy time of the year. Seriously, I got school off and did nothing but relax for two weeks. Now as an adult it all makes sense. I have to fit in Christmas shopping, keep my house decent for drop in guests, enjoy holiday baking, go to parties, and still live my daily life of working 40+ hours a week and spending time with my husband. The busy schedule the past few weeks would explain why you haven't seen any posts from me lately. 


On Christmas we went to our friends from church, Joy and Jim's house and had dinner with all of the pastors and their families. I must say getting us all together makes for a very interesting time. It was so nice to be able to spend the holiday with friends since we were unable to be with family. My family came to visit this past week. Though, the time was short it was nice to have them here and get caught up. Last evening, Tim and I went to another family from churches house for a new years eve get together. It has been very nice having people around and getting to spend some time with family and friends.  

In my time away we finally got our nursery furniture that we ordered on cyber Monday. We wanted to wait to set everything up until we (Tim) painted the room but we couldn't resist. We set up the dresser a few weeks back and found out that the company pre-drilled a hole wrong so one drawer does not open or close properly. Thank goodness for the manufacture warranty. We should have a new drawer front here within a few days to fix the problem. We set up the crib yesterday. Boy, was that a challenge. I think that the crib companies purposely try to make parents or dads fulfill the stereotype of being too stupid to follow directions and not able to put a crib together. There were no good directions. I mean seriously, who puts 10 pages of picture directions in a box and doesn't tell you what order to do anything in. In the end, junky directions and all; we got the crib together and it looks great!

As far as my pregnancy things are going really well. I have my moments where I do not feel well and my body does weird things but over all I would say things are going great. Although, I have started noticing this pain I get whenever I move too quickly or reach for something or even cough. I feel like I get punched in the gut. It is seriously such an awful feeling but they say it should pass fairly quickly. Apparently, it has to do with muscles stretching and such. I will take the pains that pass in a few seconds or minutes anyday over the puking my guts out all day long.  Other symptoms I have noticed are frequent headaches, heartburn, and excessive acne. I have a feeling all the quirky things my body does will be worth it in the long run. As of today I have officially gained 6lbs and am starting to have a more noticeable belly. 

This week the baby is no long a worm, tadpole, or bean... it is officially about the size of an avocado and weighs in at a big 3.5 oz. Does anyone else find it strange that we compare unborn children to such odd objects? At this point the baby has formed taste buds and can detect light. It is breathing in amniotic fluid and strengthening its lungs. This past week the baby has begun to look more human like rather than like an alien. 

We had our 3rd appointment Tuesday Dec. 28th. Appointments like these make me wonder if they are even necessary. The nurse practitioner spent a good period of time listening to the babies heartbeat to verify that there were no complications going on. This time it seemed much louder and stronger than last but that could be because we got to hear it for more than 30 seconds. It really put my mind at rest to hear the heartbeat and know all is well. The NP made comment about how active the baby was. Apparently, the fuzzy static sound in between heartbeats was the baby flipping around.   We also sat down with the head nurse and went over some paperwork and other minor details of pregnancy and delivery. I don't really feel like I learned anything or felt better informed after leaving the appointment but I suppose its what we have to do. I got the script to get my first ultrasound within the next few weeks. I have to call Monday to make that appointment. I plan on trying to get in the last week in January so that I will be farther along and might have a better chance of finding out the gender. I am hoping the next few weeks will pass quickly. 


Our camera is acting up so I will post 15 and 16 week pictures along with some baby room pictures as soon as we can figure out whats going on with it. 

1 comment:

  1. The pain you are feeling in your abdomen is called round ligament pain. It is just the strtching of the muscles in your belly to accomodate a growing baby and uterus. You are both lucky to already have a jump start on putting together your nursery. We moved when I was 37 weeks along, and I had to put together a bookshelf, crib, and dresser with a huge belly. David is a mess when it comes to that stuff. Also, 16 weeks along is early enough (with a good ultrasound tech) to figure out what you are having. Can't wait to hear about it! I miss you a ton!

    ReplyDelete